Scroll down to view all available homes for sale.
The island is twenty-seven miles long and less than three miles wide at its
widest point and runs parallel to the coast two miles out. Galveston became a port of call in 1837 for the Republic of Texas.
In 1842 a steam ferry began to operate between the island and the mainland, and in 1859 a bridge was completed along with a railway which were both destroyed in the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.
An all-traffic causeway was opened in 1912. The years between the world wars brought illegal drinking and betting in nightclubs and saloons, this with extensive prostitution made Galveston the sin city fo the Gulf. However in 1957 the Attorney General with the help of the Texas Rangers shut down the gambling places and closed many houses of prostitution.
It has now become a popular destination for tourists to enjoy the old Victorian homes, the main street the "Strand", fishing and the beaches.
View Galveston in a larger map
For further information or personal assistance contact Marlene Foad at 281-686-4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org